My Hospital Experience

“Having a baby is the most wonderful thing in your life, as well as the hardest thing in your life”.

This one is a tricky post to write, what should of been my best week of my life with my new baby was our worst. 

A quick recap from the last blog, I gave birth after a lengthy 48 hours then had to be rushed into theatre because my placenta was still inside. Whilst in the recovery room after having surgery the midwifes found out I had caught an infection called strep A. This meant I needed to be put into isolation and wasn’t allowed to share a room with anybody else or have any visitors. Luckily I was allowed to still stay with Lennon.
What even is Strep A? I thought the same, I will write another post about that another day.
Anyways… the lady in the recovery room was removed from the room immediately, the midwifes would only come into my room to speak to me if they had gloves, masks and aprons on and all my visitors got turned away. Just seeing them do that in the first hour caused me to become an emotional wreck. They treated me like I was diseased! I could hear them all gossiping about me in the hallway as the midwife station is right outside the room I was in. They didn’t close the door or even whisper when saying my name. I remember texting my mum and not answering to any calls because I was crying so much and I didn’t want anyone to know! It wasn’t until late that night that I rung Gavin up and just broke down, that being after not eaten for over 72 hours. Not only that I could hardly attend to my baby as I was bed bound due to having surgery, having a canula and a catheter in. (Which is not nice in itself). The midwifes also left me alone for hours, only checked on me every 4 hours to do my obs and didn’t give me the buzzer to call them. As I was bed bound I couldn’t get up to get it to ask for help either. 
The next day I was told I would be in isolation for 48 hours, once my antibiotics had kicked in I would be allowed down to a ward. Every now and then the midwifes would come in and see me to check I was ok. I finally got my buzzer but was too scared to call them as they were all just so mean. I remember the first time I buzzed, it was because I needed more water (I had run out the night before) and I needed to change the baby and the bag was the other side of the room. Well, she was in such a rush to get back out, she picked the bag up and moved it onto a chair that I still couldn’t reach. I was then too scared to buzz again so I managed to move whilst being in agony and having to adjust with the catheter in. 
My temperature kept going up and down throughout the days and nights and I had been told I have to stay in isolation until it was under control for 48 hours. Which is pretty much impossible whilst being in a boiling hot hospital. I kept getting really nice midwifes and then when the shift would change Id get a bitch again. I was kept in isolation for 4 days in total, with no hot meals and only having 1 snack boxes (sandwich, crackers with butter, yogurt, apple and orange juice) and two lots of tea and toast. Baring in mind I am gluten free that was pretty shit, I had to choose to either be in agony and eat the food or stay in hospital longer and not get better. I chose to eat the wheat. Finally I had my good midwife back and she was so shocked to see that I was still in the isolation room and not on the ward, within half an hour she had got doctors to come and visit me, got me some more food and sent me down to a ward. This felt like the best day ever to me even though by the time I got down to the ward it was 10:30pm at night. I could finally tell my family I was allowed visitors so I whatsapp my family group and told them all the good news and arranged for them to come up the following day. 

Being on the ward was a totally different experience, still shit but compared to what I had just been through it was amazing. I was so excited for a shower more then anything, I hadn’t showered since I had given birth. RANK, I know. but I wasn’t allowed to leave my room or even get off my bed for that matter. No shower or toilet in the room, so when my catheter finally came out they made me pee in a disposable pot which is really difficult. It was the best shower ever even though I don’t think the feeling had come back in my legs yet and I was a bit wobbly. I also had breakfast and a hot lunch and dinner. The best thing of all was visitors, I loved speaking to people and getting to show off my new baby to people. I missed Gavin so much too, it just wasn’t enough to just talk to him on the phone. Thank god for phones though, I would have gone insane without it throughout my whole hospital stay. I stayed on the ward for another 2 nights and was let home on Christmas eve, they only let me home as I said I was going to discharge myself. The one thing I didn’t want was to spend the day in hospital on Christmas day. I was allowed to go home as long as I carried on taking the antibiotics which were so hard to find we had to go back to get, and I am still on iron tablets and they think I will be for a while. They were supposed to give me blood thinner injections for my belly every day at the hospital and then to finish them at home but I only had two. When I asked about them they said “we have run out sorry”. 
The whole time we was in the hospital Lennon was on antibiotics (just in case because I had the infection before giving birth), observations checked every 4 hours like I was. But, he was fine the whole time, didn’t get the infection and only had the odd high temperature every now and then. Lennon is super healthy and was throughout the whole hospital stay. 
The thing that upset me the most about being in hospital for a week is I felt so sorry for Gavin, I felt like I was so lucky to be spending time with the baby and he had only seen him for a few hours. I felt so guilty and it made me upset quite a lot but I had the Lennon there to also take my mind off things. The only thing that kept me sane was the fact I now had someone relying on me. I knew I had to push through all the pain and heartbreak, I knew that as soon as we was home it would all be much better. And it was. 
I would love to read your birth/hospital experiences, if you have your own blog, youtube or anything please comment below so I can have a read/watch. 
Thank you for reading, Don’t forget to like & Follow. 
Jade x


  1. csearle164
    July 10, 2018 / 8:35 pm

    I had a retained placenta and surgery as you did but the difference is our after care is unreal! With or without infections, your treatment was unacceptable!
    I’m still on iron tablets too and Sophia is now 16 months old!

  2. July 10, 2018 / 9:34 pm

    Thanks for sharing! Lennon is adorable, and I’m glad everything worked out well.

  3. July 13, 2018 / 7:19 pm

    Loved reading this! When I was in hospital after having a C Section my midwives didn’t keep on top of my pain relief and would come in with a ‘what do you want’ attitude!! Especially because I wasn’t breast feeding, my son wouldn’t take the bottle but the midwives just came in forced the bottle in and said ‘see!’. Some midwives can be horrible! Glad you and Lennon are fine now xx

  4. August 18, 2018 / 5:28 pm

    Feel very, very sad at how you’ve been let down with your birth experience. 😢women do not deserve to be treated like this. I hope you carry on enjoying your little Lennon xx

  5. Donna
    October 5, 2018 / 9:53 pm

    Reading this post makes me realise how lucky I am to not having had any problems during pregnancy or during birth. I am happy for you that both are well and doing great. Xx

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *